Sarah grew up in the middle of nowhere in the countryside of Derbyshire and as a result has an over-active imagination.
She has been an avid reader for most of her life, taking inspiration from the stories she read as a child, and the novels she devoured as an adult.
Sarah mainly writes speculative fiction for young adults. Her books range from the dystopian Blemished series, to the supernatural Mary Hades series. She is currently working on epic fantasy series Land of Fire and Ash.
When I say ‘extended’, I’m using the term fast and loose. I’m not exactly super-interesting. I’m one of those people who dreads corporate retreats where you have to introduce yourself with one fun fact about yourself.
I’m pretty geeky. I love books, I love films and I love TV. When I’m not writing, I’m probably watching Buffy whilst trying to muster up the motivation to go to the gym.
I started writing pretty young, but I never finished anything until I was in my early twenties. That’s when I started querying short stories to any and every publication I could find. It’s also around the same time I started writing The Blemished. Fun fact (hey, I actually thought of one for a change) The Blemished started out as a very confused teen sci-fi thriller about a princess on a planet called Mihr who could sense people’s emotions through smell. A miner guy killed her family and tried to chase her through the Universe… yeah… that girl was Mina… and that story was waaay too complicated. So to reduce migraines, I brought it back down to Earth, back into a more realistic climate, and eventually the story became The Blemished… after about five rewrites. Since then I have gone on to write two more novels and two novellas in the Blemished-verse.
Other works include:
The Mary Hades series - a ghost-whispering teenager sends ghosts to the 'otherside'.
The White Hart Series - prophecies, elemental magic, a girl who rides a white stag... The Neverending Story meets Game of Thrones
The Land of Fire and Ash - Dragons, mages, court politics, the kingdom of Estala is a dangerous place to live.
Some more fun facts about me.
- I live in South Yorkshire.
- I’m pretty sure my first ever story was about a pair of magic trainers. I think I was about 3 years old.
- I love, love, love to create book covers. Sometimes I spend more time on them than writing. But not all of my book covers are made by me.
- I don’t like chocolate ice cream but I LOVE chocolate.
- I think I’m one of the few writers who has NEVER tried coffee.
- I don’t listen to music as often as I should, but when I do, it’s either artsy and pretentious, or really silly pop music.
- My favourite book is probably Wuthering Heights. I find it incredibly romantic, even though it isn’t.
Places to find me: